On 2017-01-06 12:41-0500 da...@daryllee.com wrote:

As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5. In fact, I'd love to hear from anyone who actually has.

My "ldd -r" results for cmake-gui show my recent bootstrap builds (of
cmake-3.7.0) have been built with Qt5 without linking issues.  I
didn't do anything special for Qt5 other than to install its
development packages (for Debian Jessie in my case).  So I think if
you did the same, it would just work.  That said, ~6 months or so ago,
I didn't have Qt5 installed on my system so my cmake-gui builds back
then were done (without issues) using Qt4.

Also, I have used the combination of cmake and Qt5 in other contexts.  The
issue that is likely confusing you (since it confused me at first
encounter as well) is Qt5 cmake support is provided directly by Qt5
(see <http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html> which is provided by
Qt5 developers and not cmake developers).

So, for example, the PLplot build system uses either Qt4 (based on
CMake support provided by CMake) or Qt5 (based on CMake support provided
by Qt5) and my recent (6 months ago and now) experience with CMake
builds is they also work fine for either Qt4 or Qt5.

So like others here have commented, I suspect you have some Qt4
installation issue (e.g., a mixture of private and system versions)
that is causing your present difficulties.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science