Hi Beth:

Yes, the memory issue is very difficult.  I am trying my best to compensate
such as eating almonds, cherries, doing crossword puzzles, word searches, etc.
But at the end of the day, there is much I just can't pull out.

As for traveling, I relate.  After I was diagnosed, we traveled back and forth
to Miami because our daughter was in college at University of Miami.  My sister
lives in Orlando and her husband, who passed away a year ago July 25th, was
quite ill.  Every time I got on a plane, I developed some sort of infection,
sore throat, etc. Then, about a year ago, we went to Orlando and the bone pain
in my legs became unbearable.  Don't know if it was the cabin pressure or
something else but I needed a wheelchair to get off the plane.  This has
happened a number of times.  Naturally, the doctors don't think it is related
to the Gleevec but I know it is.

We've been a blessed family.  Traveled all over the world before I got sick.
My husband has been to every continent and I've been to most.  We've seen
Russia and the Ukraine, Greece, Turkey, Europe, South Africa, Kenya, China,
Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, just about all of it.  Israel in May was my first
overseas trip in more than 5 years.  I was concerned how I would manage but
thankfully, it was perfect.  No illness, no problem walking, not even bone
pain.  We are looking at retiring there when the time comes because we love the
country and have family and friends there.  As born Jews, we are granted
automatic citizenship and health care is automatic and free and some of the
best doctors in the world are there.  Giora Sharf, head of CML Israel
Advocates, is a friend so to move there and know someone with CML would be most
helpful.  Of course, our daughter is here but Israel just might be it because
if I can't work, and I believe a time will come when I cannot, Obamacare isn't
going to help.  I'm 61 so Medicare is a ways off for me.  The cost will
bankrupt us so Israel it will be.

If there is really some place you want to travel, check it out with your
doctor.  Make sure you go somewhere that has excellent medical care and get
travel insurance so that if you need to cancel you won't be out the money.  We
also have medical insurance that we bought so that if one of us gets sick
outside of Maryland, the costs of everything, including flying home, will be
covered.  Try to make that dream come true because it is something you want so
badly.  Where do you live?  Maybe you can come to Baltimore and stay with us
for a visit.  I'd love that.

Know what you mean about the pain and fatigue.  I have tons of arthritis which
I know from having MRIs.  The Gleevec has elevated it beyond belief.  I don't
take anything, although my primary care wants me to talk to my onc about
Meloxicam.  I looked it up and the side effects seem like it is not worth it.
I just live with the pain because I don't know what else to do.

Hope you had a great walk and, as always, wonderful to talk to you.

Much love,

Marcie