Yes Angie transfusions are scheduled when hemoglobin is 8 or below.  When I
was having those transfusions the last time around I would have my CBC done
on Thursday and if it was below 8.5 T would go by the hospital on my way
home to be typed and matched.  The next morning I would get the
transfusions. This saved about 2 hours waiting for blood work and delivery
of blood from the bank.  OTC iron pills and iron infusions did not work
that time around.  While the nuts and seeds are great additions to the
overall diet; I have read we cannot eat enough of them to overcome the
deficiency without assistance.  I can also attest to the fact that if we
get too much iron we will receive very unpleasant negative effects
also. Great to hear your Hemg was a wonderful 14.1.  As I stated. I would
just like to see multiple tests above 12.  My family has a history of Iron
deficient anemia and my sister has been stable with a hemg of 5 for years
now.  Since I am my father's son, I probably had anemia years before I knew
about CML.  I remember doctors advising me to eat more red meat and liver
as a source protein.