On Jun 15, 2019, at 9:58 AM, Phil Smith III wrote:

> Gil wrote:
>> No, you're thinking of ISPF.
>
> As infrequently as possible!
>
> <snippage of various ISPF gore>
>> Item: CMS ISPF is worse.
>
> Well, yeah. Without even any details, we know this to be true!
>
> ... may have seemed like black magic to the ISPF developer (I assume they're
> down to one part-timer, since it doesn't seem to actually improve over time).

But ISPF EDIT’s support of UTF-8 tagged zFS files is phenomenally good; severely
limited only by the CCSID of the attached terminal.  And they promptly fixed a
bug
I reported.  Is XEDIT likewise?.  I truly wished for full X3270 Unicode support
on the
z host side.  Absurdly unrealistic again, I suppose.

>> It feels as if ISPF developers accepted Rexx unwittingly with an
>> attitude approaching sabotage.
>
> It does. And that might be part of the reason that so many z/OS folks still
> say "Oh, I don't use Rexx".
>
>> VM20779?  Wayback Machine?  GIYF?  Not.

I was gobsmacked when our z/OS sysprog once told me he was writing an Assembler
program for a one-off report.

> Heh. Circa, um, 1984? 1985? It was a huge APAR that changed RESERVEd lines to
> be per-screen instead of being global to XEDIT (among other things). In
> retrospect, pretty clearly done to enable FILELIST et al.

And I wished they had done likewise for synonyms and PF keys; everything.

— gil