Those extra rpm's make a difference when being hit head-on by waves, or even chop. The added ability to accelerate faster back up to hull speed will make your average speed over time faster, even though you won't be exceeding hull speed. How fast you recover after a wave slows you down can make quite a difference in how soon you get where you are going. That is why it never hurts to have a few more horsepower. Reaching hull speed in calm flat water is not the goal.  Most boats that are considered a bit underpowered have no trouble reaching hull speed when there is no opposition. Of course, going slower than hull speed in those conditions will generally be more comfortable if that is your priority.

Bill Bina