From: "CNC boat owners, cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "CNC boat owners, cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, July 7, 2014 10:21:18 AM
Subject: Stus-List Gear shift

Hi All,

This may seem to be a very dumb question but the knowledge on this site is just
too tempting to resist.

I am going through my new-to me 1974 33 3/4tonner with the hope of launching
her next weekend. I have the hull in reasonably good condition below the
waterline (through hull fittings, bottom paint, running gear, etc.) now it is
time to go through the engine and related systems. This boat has an Atomic 4,
probably original and it seems to be in pretty good shape for it’s age. Looks
like it was well maintained. I have a couple hopefully simple questions.

1. Is there generally an “off” or kill switch other than the ignition key? I
have read in other posts about an off switch that is used before turning off
the ignition key

2. This motor has an electric fuel pump upgrade and there is no documentation
on it. Should I assume it will turn on with the ignition circuit or is there
another switch I can’t seem to find?

3. My previous experience with inboard boat transmissions (older power boats)
is that they are easy to operate when the motor is not running. Mine is VERY
difficult to move. The cable looks like it is not damaged. I will probably end
up disconnecting it from the transmission to verify free operation but just
curious about these reduction gearing systems.

New oil in both engine and reduction gearcase. New fuel. New fuel filters. New
spark plugs. Compression check very good (~85lbs with very little variance). I
have not started it yet but that is my next step.

Now before someone asks why these items were not dealt with during the survey
or sea trial…. Those services would have cost almost as much as the boat. I
paid very little for the boat and was willing to take the risk. I know the
previous owner. He has been and still is at my marina. I have seen the boat in
the water and underway. I am an optimist at heart.

Skip

1974 C&C 33 ¾ tonner

Not named yet but leaning toward “Mary Jane” Not as a tribute to my hippy
youth. Those are our Mom’s names!