My autopilot is a older Navico unit (WheelPilot). The problem on mine is the belt jumping off the guides. It's all worn-out.

You might want to consider taking the drive / belt / pulley unit apart and see if it being off-quilter might cause a jam which would explain your breaker tripping issue.

It's a royal pain to take the drive apart on my antiquity. Mine sometimes causes the steering wheel to jam altogether... It has not happened when sailing or in a critical situation yet. I'm pretty sure my huge destroyer wheel gives me enough leverage to rip the crap off if I'm ever in a bind...

Mine is on the fritz again.. I have fixed it once, If I can I'll use my Dremmel and fab something that will hopefully last until my next tax return when I buy a new Raymarine Wheel Pilot..

-Francois
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Cumming, Ga

Sent from IBM Notes Traveler