re Liability.

I seem to remember that the Westsail 32 that was abandoned during 'The Perfect Storm' was actually doing fine by the captain, and it was the pickup crew who went hysterical and called the USCG for rescue. The captain set the boat up and tucked himself into the quarterberth and was ready to ride it out. (One account says he took a bottle with him into the quarterberth, and I would probably do the same thing under the circumstances.)

My point being that he was taken off the boat because he was a licensed captain, and disregarding a direct order from the USCG would cost him his license. He didn't want to go.

It turns out he was right, and the boat ended up on the New Jersey shore in very good condition.

Wal