The 33 mkII also has a fairly flat hull bottom section, almost from the back of
the keel forward. I understand that it helps a lot to keep a good heel angle to
prevent pounding going upwind. But in short waves IT WILL BANG whoever is at
the helm. I'm even thinking about reinforcing the front section of the hull
laminating a "grid" from the inside because i think there is a lack of support
there and it flexes too much. I was able to notice the flex last summer in the
choppy conditions of the Northumberland strait. Any comment on that project are
welcomed.

That said, the boat is fast for it's size and fairly stable downwind for an old
boat. I don't know if the flat section really helps but i did hit some very
good speed going downwind and surfing for a brief moment (not sustained
surfing) at a MAX speed of 14 knots!!! on the speedo, not GPS (was not looking
down!). that day the boat was averaging a speed over 8.5 regularly surfing over
9 and 10 with rides over 11.5. I did saw a 14 for like a second or two, i don't
know what the GPS was showing... It was blowing over 30 with a fairly big
following sea. the sails where "tied" wing to wing, two reefs and with my no.3
(110%) a bit furled and stabilized with a whisker pole. . since the sails were
"tied" with the boom secured too, and that my sails were balanced for the
conditions i was able to play the wind a little to accelerate in the puffs and
then point the bow down the waves. Very fun ride but very stressful for my
girlfriend and me too at some points.

a friend following us with his CS 36 bent his boom that day after an accidental
jibe. his boat seemed harder to steer in those conditions and was not "surfing"
as much as we were. the CS is way heavier and has a very "V shape" bow.

Bruno Lachance

Bécassine, C&C 33 mkII

New-Richmond, Qc