Bob (Robert E.) Perry wrote a very good, easy to understand article in Good
Old Boat Issue: 83 - March/April 2012, Pages 24-25 explaining the detail of
just what Andrew stated below.

The C&C 38 Mk.3 is one of the best examples I know of of this "designing to
the rule's measurement points" which explains why the 38 Mk.3 has such
sharp corners and flat sections in its underwater profile.

By the time Rob Ball designed the 37/40 and the 34/36 these corners and
flat sections were being smoothed out but are still obvious if you know
what you are looking for.

IDIOSYNCRACIES OF THE IOR
BY ROBERT PERRY

How rating-rule number crunchers shaped sailboats. I have been looking
forward to writing this. If your boat was designed between 1970 and 1985 it
probably shows the effect of the International Offshore Rule (IOR). Even if
your boat was never intended as a “race” boat, the effects of the rule
probably show. What is current on the racecourse usually creeps into the
mom and pop boats. Kind of like a rear-deck spoiler on a Toyota. For this
reason, it might be of interest for you to understand how the IOR worked
and why it produced the hull shapes and rigs we have come to recognize as
IOR types.

*Article Number:* 5387
*Issue:* 83 - March/April 2012
*Page No:* 16-19