  From: Bill Bina - gmail via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:59 AM
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Diving your own boat

  I made a rig that uses an outdoor broom with stiff bristles, and some
flotation that screws onto the end of a boat hook. It makes bottom cleaning at
a slip a short, and relatively easy job. I'm now on a mooring, and have to work
my way around the boat, tying the dinghy to the railing as I go. It takes a
little longer and a little more work, but it is still not that hard to do.

  I'm not a racer, so this method is more than adequate. I'm sure a diver would
do a better job, since he can see what he is doing.

  I use the same rig to do my outboard rudder from the cockpit. Screwing the
broom head directly to the boat hook does not work very well. In addition to
the pool noodle floation, I also added a curved extension made from plumbing so
that the broom head is offset from the boathook by about a foot. That clearance
makes all the difference in reaching the center area of the hull without the
boathook hitting the hull. I think I have some pictures of this thing on my
home computer. If I can find them, I'll post them somewhere on the web.

  Bill Bina