I would say a raft is an option if you have the dinghy. I would have an EPIRB.
In that area rescue is going to be pretty quick if you need it. I would also
have a waterproof handheld VHF handy so you can direct the search.
The best safety equipment you can get is the patience to await a good forecast.
The worst thing is to have ANY kind of schedule.
Personally, I almost always got up the beach along the NJ coast, through NYC
and then down Long Island sound. It's a nice ride, gives you lots of options if
the weather goes sour, avoids drunk fishermen at night in the shipping lanes,
and is only a few hours more distance.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine