Personally, I would not consider a raft for that trip - if you are able to
plan based on weather rather than a fixed schedule, know and have
maintained your boat well and the dinghy is inflated, not rolled up in a
locker somewhere.  A stop in NYC would mean coastal sailing all the way.

+1 on jacklines, harnesses and life jackets.  You may also want to check
sleeping arrangements (lee cloths) if you don't sail overnight often and
extra diesel in case of no wind.  I made that trip a few years back (not my
boat) and we entered Great Salt Pond with the dinghy strapped to the
quarter as a tug...

Tim
Mojito
C&C 35-3