I for one do not mind the same "questions" or conversations being reposted.  I
like "watching" the conversations to pick up tidbits from those on the list far
more experienced / skilled than I.  And working on the "just in time"
principle, someone invariably posts a relevant question just as I am about to -
or should - undertake a project or maintenance activity.

I probably don't know enough about how forums work, but I personally like the
ability to quickly browse  unread email strings from the list to see which I
want to read. I doubt if I would go to a forum except when I needed something
from the group - and if others' actions are similar, the numbers and qualities
of responses to any questions posed could be much reduced.

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III