Seems to me the recurring reason for preference for a forum is simplicity in
searching the list archive when you have a question. As I recall that is pretty
easy using Google – though I use the function so seldom I’ve forgotten exactly
how to do it.

I have a subfolder in my email called “Boat Stuff”. If I see a message with
content I feel I will want to access later – maybe a project or a technique or
a recommendation for a certain piece of gear – the message gets moved to the
“Boat Stuff” folder and gets archived on my own hard drive.

I think the last time I actually searched for something in the list archive was
when my hard drive fried and I lost my old “Boat Stuff” folder.

And I feel I should point out that, were this a forum format, there is little
likelihood that anyone on the list except Stu would have seen the question that
you asked in your post. In list format we all get asked the question.

With List format, the recent discussion that started with a comment on the VOR
grounding morphed into a discussion of proper navigation techniques, the value
of paper charts, and what is actually required to be on your boat. In my
opinion that sort of information is useful to everyone. But in Forum format one
would need to search for the VOR grounding in order to stumble onto the chart
discussion, AFIK.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC