Actually that is not strictly true. My laptop, using Outlook, is set to
remove messages from the POP server. It is a setting you chose when setting
up the email account.

I also use whatever email client comes standard on my IPad. When I set up
the mail account on it, I chose the setting to not delete messages when
downloaded.

That way I see all the messages on my laptop and can chose which to archive,
delete, etc. The SPAM blocker for either Windows or MacAfee seems to work a
lot better than twhatever is on the IPad, so I get a lot fewer letters from
Nigerian royalty and folks in Russia with a miracle cure for my diabetes.

I do need to keep my IPad turned off (as opposed to sleep mode) so it does
not periodically download messages on the server. But when I am on the boat
or carrying only the IPad, I turn it on and it downloads whatever messages
are on the server - and leaves them there to be downloaded on the laptop at
some later time.

What I understand you to be saying, though, is that with all Apple devices,
and with all set up on an IMAP account, you can look at the messages you
have on any of the devices. And when you delete a message after looking at
it on the IPad, you will not see it again on the phone, MacBook, etc.?

Rick Brass

Washington, NC