To: joel.aron...@gmail.com; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 17:56:56 +0000
Subject: Re: Stus-List Corrosion in winch drum
From: cnc-list@cnc-list.com

I recommend a quick clean up to remove any trace of the aluminum/SS oxide.  I
used diesel as a solvent any bronze wool as the abrasive.  I cleaned all
Calypso’s
 winch innards with diesel (it has a bit of lubricity along with the solvent in
case traces are left behind).

For grease I use the Lubriplate 130AA, same as for a MAX prop.  On the pawls I
use a light oil to avoid slowing them down with grease.

If racing and not as worried about longevity (“nothing performs like a
loaner”), spray the cleaned winch down with LPS or a similar light lube.  It
will spin
 fast with low resistance but have very little corrosion protection.  I was
part of a 1981 Transpac charter of an older IOR boat with gummed up winches
(including grinder sized Barients).  We cleaned the winches in diesel, sprayed
them down with a light spray
 lube and took off for Hawaii.  Winches still worked great when we sailed her
back to San Francisco.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43