From: robert via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: Joel Aronson <joel.aron...@gmail.com>; cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tue, Apr 28, 2015 3:40 pm
Subject: Stus-List rig tuning

 On everything up top on the standing rigging, I now use only SS cotter
pins.....this is because on several occasions, and I can not explain how it
happened, the split rings vanished.  Luckily, nothing fell down before the
missing split ring was detected.  I have no explanation how the split rings
disappeared but I do know that since being replaced with cotter pins, there has
not been been a missing pin.

 The thread Subject is "rig tuning"......on that note I have rod rigging and a
Loos RT10 tuning gauge is a must for me......I can't pull on shrouds and tell
how much tension is there.  Now someone will chime in and tell me to measure my
threads in the turnbuckles.  But how do you initially do that without a
reference point with the benefit of a gauge.

 When we were campaigning our Kirby 25, we made rig adjustments depending on
the conditions.  We still used a Loos gauge to take the guessing out of the
equation.

 I shouldn't admit this but I will.....on my shroud turnbuckles, I use the
small plastic pull/lock strings (or whatever they are called).  Once I get my
rig tuned early in the Spring after a few sails, it stays that way all season
unless I adjust it after periodic checking with the Loos gauge and sighting the
mast, of course.

 Rob Abbott
 AZURA
 C&C 32 - 84
 Halifax, N.S.

 With the cover just removed and no launch date set yet.