Dan, I used to be based in Westbrook CT, so here are my recommendations for
Eastern Long Island Sound. This is based on several summer cruises on our C&C
34 with wife and two younger teenagers. Westbrook - slip at Brewer's. Huge
full-service yard. Pool, showers, restaurant (expensive). Gas BBQ grills and
picnic tables at the head of each dock. There is a picnic area at the channel
entrance with gas grills, picnic tables, and a clubhouse with kitchen
facilities and a TV room. Great spot to hang out in the evening and watch the
boat traffic. That was our regular hangout. Mystic - slip at Brewer's. On the
right, just before the railroad bridge. Easy dinghy ride to the town dock.
Decent swimming pool. Be careful to stay in the channel, and do NOT try to cut
left of the rockpile at the entrance to Noank (you'll see what I mean - there's
a confusing dogleg). Get ice-cream at the store by the lifting bridge. Of
course the Seaport Museum. In general, any Brewer's yard along LIS is a good
stopover. Shelter Island - good moorings at Piccozzi's Dering Harbor Marina.
Decent showers. Nice small town with decent bars and restaurants. Explore the
island by bike - rentals at Piccozzi's garage. Fun trip in through Plum Gut.
Newport - we would stay at Dutch Harbor. Moorings for rent, launch service,
showers and laundry. Walk to foodstore and restaurants. Harbor shuttle across
to Newport. More peaceful than craziness of Newport. Martha's Vineyard - we
were disappointed with available moorings. The best we found were in Vineyard
Haven. Services not great, and serious wakes from car-ferries. Still, the
Vineyard is a must-see. Rent a Jeep. Go to the Jaws locations. Block Island -
Great Salt Pond. Rather than scramble for town moorings, we would book a "slip"
at Champlin's Marina. In reality, you're likely rafted, and it gets very
congested with powerboats at weekends. Still, it is a fun experience. Decent
pool, bars, takeout pizza, cinema (for kids), all without leaving the marina.
And then of course there's Block to explore! Rent bikes. Great beaches.
Cuttyhunk is our favorite destination. If you get there on time, there are town
moorings in the inner harbor. Otherwise, plenty of moorings available outside,
but with more wave action. Beautiful island. No cars, one small restaurant,
boat goes around each evening selling fresh shellfish and lobsters. Great
beaches (at harbor entrance, and over the bar at the far side). Channel can be
tricky, so be careful. Last time we were there, we watched another sailboat
solidly aground on a falling tide. No fun. Cape Cod Canal is a beautiful ride.
Make sure to time your transits with the tides. Some serious wave action on the
southern entrance - you'll be surfing in, then it gets flat. Sandwich Marina is
a decent stop at the northern exit from the CCC. showers, food-store nearby,
decent restaurants. Feel free to discuss more offline. damian.gre...@yahoo.com
Damian GreeneC&C 34 GHOSTBass Harbor, Maine