I have cruised Buzzards Bay, the Islands and Narraganset fairly extensively
over the years. Great suggestions from Damian. I would add my favorites...

Quissett : beautiful little harbor north east of Woods Hole. Long walk or
trolley bus to Woods Hole

Hadley Harbor: opposite Woods Hole - no landing on islands but really peaceful
place to anchor or pick up free moorings if available

Menemsha: call early in the morning to make a mooring reservation. Very limited
but the do allow up to three maybe four boats on each of the moorings inside.

Coecles Harbor (east side of Shelter Island). Channel narrow and not a lot of
depth - go in / out on a rising tide!! But once in, several options. I
generally anchor on the left side going in.

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III