From: David Knecht via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:12 AM
To: CnC CnC discussion list
Cc: David Knecht
Subject: Stus-List Check valve on bilge pump

We had a discussion a few years back about whether or not to have a check valve
on the bilge pump outlet hose and as a result, I removed the valve from mine.
All has been fine since.  Yesterday, while motoring for a long ways down the
river, I noticed that the bilge was filling with water.  I pumped it out and
the water immediately returned.  I pulled the pump out of the bilge, and water
was pouring into the bilge through the pump.  When I lifted it, the flow
stopped so it seemed to be siphoning/flowing through the bilge pump exit line,
which is in the transom and when motoring, looks to be under water.  I have not
checked yet to see if there is an anti-siphon loop.   I am guessing that this
is one of the functions of the one way valve that was there before, but I can’t
figure out why it never happened before.  The Whale 500 pump does not
specifically say it has a check valve, but perhaps it does and it stopped
working?  I had an oil spill into the bilge last winter and so maybe that is
causing problems.  I plan to reinstall a check valve in the line so this does
not happen again.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT