Rod Rigging.  Mine is also original and the boat has been freshwater for
all its life except for 4 years.  I discussed the rig with one of the few
(And be most accounts: the best) factory certified Navtec guys in the
southeast  (Rick Zern) and his advice was: Have your local guy take a look
at it (While it's down if possible) or you can look at it yourself. Here's
what you look for:  No kinks, make sure the tangs (mast attachment ball /
socket joints) are not deformed, can rotate smoothly, and are free of
rust.  Same with the eyes / toggles / turnbuckles: free of rust, smooth
turning. If that passes muster, don't worry about it.

As you know, rod riggings are extremely stout and don't really stretch
much at all.  If it has been abused, mistreated, or over-stressed in a
storm, the aluminum mast structure around the tang area will deform,  same
for the threads on the turnbuckles: They will get distorted long before
the rods or heads get damaged.

Rick told me that being a certfied Navtec rigger he decided to remove his
and have it lab tested.  Keep in mind his boat (J-boat) had been raced
hard in salt water for  15-20+ years / his rod rigging was original.
Results after the dye and destructive tests done: Nothing wrong.  In his
words:  It was a waste of money and efforts.

His words (Again) if you're about to embark on extended ocean crossing
passages then by all means spend the money to get work done as insurance.
For the rest of us lake and coastal cruisers:  Keep sailing and taking
reasonable care of your rig.

Regards,

-Francois
1990 34+ "Take Five"