Edd,

As someone who had their Yanmar 3HM rebuilt (and converted to a 3HMF) after a
complete head meltdown, were I to do it again I would go with a new motor of
some sort.

Although the entire upper end is new (head, pistons, rings, FW cooling, etc)
after only about 400 hours, the mainseall is starting to go. And I would echo
the resale advice, newer will help the sale. And I would just feel better with
a new engine. I noted at the Annapolis Boat Show last October that Yanmar has
wised up and is providing the new motors with uprated charging systems instead
of the bog standard 35-amp automotive alternators. Smart move.

And lastly, were I to replace my motor (possible!) I wouldn’t hesitate to put a
saildrive unit in. Years ago on a much older 37’ boat with an Atomic 4 that
started to show its age, that was my plan. Sold the boat before doing though.

Anyway, this advice is coming from someone who hasn’t sailed their boat in five
years so take it for what it’s (not)worth…

Good luck.

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin