When I put in my B&G system I was surprised to figure out that not only did it
need a knot meter for TWD, it wanted a compass transducer as well.  The Zeus
units won't use their internal COG data for the boat heading let alone speed.
One other note about iPads.  I recently chartered an older boat on vacation
that only had an old 4" Garmin plotter below.  I used my IPad Air successfully
from the cockpit, but found that with the internal GPS on, it was draining the
battery even while plugged in.   Plus, plugging it in near the VHF created
interference on the radio that made it unusable.  This made me happy I have
dedicated instruments!
Jim Reinardy C&C 30-2 "Firewater"Milwaukee, WI

Sent from Outlook

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM -0700, "John Pennie via CnC-List"
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
Interesting comment - thanks.  Curious if that is still the case.

John