Here is a software package that boots off of a flash drive.  No need to
install.  Lightweight linux and OpenCPN plus some other goodies.

http://marinux.pk973.org/#XINUTOP

Josh
On Sep 10, 2015 11:24 AM, "Joel Aronson via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Just saw this open source plotter:
>
> http://www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
>
> Have not tried it.
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Juno via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
>> good thought...  wish I had thought of that about 8 hours ago...lol
>>
>> DJH
>> On Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>, Sep 10, 2015 7:18
>> AM wrote:
>>
>> You should be able to install the apps on to whatever devices your google
>> account is linked to.  Just go to the app store and select "my apps".  In
>> retrospect i wish i had purchased my boating apps on an account which was
>> common between my wife and i.  As it stands now she would have to buy the
>> apps or i would have to sync my personal account to her device.  This might
>> be a good time for you to consider creating a special Gmail account just
>> for the boat.  That way all of the google services can be segregated to the
>> boat and shared or unshared to other devices simply by adding that
>> account.  (Apps, Drive, email, blogs, youtube, etc.)
>>
>> Josh
>> On Sep 10, 2015 6:44 AM, "Danny Haughey via CnC-List" <
>> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so I downloaded MX mariner for $15, the maps are free after that,
>>> and navionics for $10, maps seemed to come with the install,  last night
>>> onto the Samsung galaxy 3.  So far, they both look great.  I believe I can
>>> get these onto the G Tab for no extra cost now.  So, I think I'm going to
>>> try that next.
>>>
>>> DannyOn Sep 9, 2015 2:17 PM, David via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>

>>> Android Phone for 3 years in tights spots and up and down the Oregon + Wa
>>> Coasts and in the San Juans. I also have Navionics on both devices for
>>> redundancy and with have charts downloaded on both. These apps send me
>>> notification and/or automatically update charts whenever new NOAA
>>> information is available (a huge plus for safety imo.) Active Captain is
>>> also integral with both apps. MX Mariner is free, I believe Navionics was
>>> $20 for charts of all of Northern CA, Oregon, Washington and San Juans. HD
>>> Navionics was $50-60 as mentioned, but normal fidelity was fine on my 7"
>>> Tablet.

>>> MMSI #) and receives AIS info. It does this only when connected to cell
>>> service (when I need real AIS, I'll buy it.) I do also have an old handheld
>>> GPS (with outdated charts... like nearly all non wifi enabled