From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of davepulaski
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:28 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: davepulaski
Subject: Stus-List Dodger for 34+

So I'm having discussions with a canvas maker about fabricating a dodger for my
'90 34+, and I'd like to solicit some input from other 34+ owners who have a
dodger, and I'd really love to see some pictures!

This will be a from-scratch build, as the boat never had a dodger.

Obviously I want it to be good looking and not detract too much from the lines
of the boat, but there are some functional challenges I can see with putting a
dodger on a 34+.

First, clearance for the big self-tailers on the corners of the cabin top.  Th
canvas maker I'm speaking with expressed concern that the dodger side panels
and/or frame may interfer with full rotation of the winch handle.

Second: how high above the companionway hatch is your dodger, and how much does
 it create awkward access in and out of the companionway?  This is difficult
for me to visualize, but I can see it being an issue because the bridgedeck is
so very long on these boats.  I don't want the dodger any taller than
absolutely necessary for aesthetic and visibility reasons.

Third, and this is the core purpose of me getting a dodger, how far back does
your dodger extend over the forward end of the cockpit?   This is my #1 reason
for getting a dodger because The Admiral needs a cozy,  SHADY spot where she
can sit facing backwards up against the cabin top bulkhead and read a book
while I toil away sailing the boat.   If the dodger stops at the aft end of the
cabin top,  it won't provide any shade to the cockpit thus defeating the whole
purpose.   Do you guys get any usable shade in the front of the cockpit from
your dodgers?  A bimini is out of the question;  not only do I absolutely hate
biminis, but my travelers is in the cockpit in front of the pedestal making a
bimini pretty much impractical.

I really want this done right... any input will be much appreciated!

-Dave