Dennis

I used to race on a Peterson 37 for a while.  Boat name is Valour and I believe
it is still on East Coast somewhere.  Would this be the same boat?

Mike

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Dennis C.
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:25 PM
To: CnClist
Cc: Dennis C.
Subject: Stus-List Selden sprit kit install

Installed a Selden sprit kit on a Peterson 37 today.  Interesting piece of
equipment.  Simple design but effective.
Essentially a big ring that mounts on the bow, a sprit pole that slides in/out
through the ring and a couple folding padeyes that the rear fiiting clips onto
in the retracted or extended position.  The tack line passes through the pole
exiting through each of the end fittings.  The base of the ring is offset so
you can mount the ring closer to center line while the pole extends to one side
of the forestay.  We had to make a StarBoard base to lift the ring a bit so the
sprit pole would clear a tack fitting.  Simple install.  took about 3 hours.
Couple things to watch out for.  First, the kits are offered in several
diameters.  As one might expect, the larger diameter kits have longer allowed
extension beyond the ring for bigger boats.  Be sure to order one large enough
to get the extension you need.  Second, check with your local handicap
organization about penalties and exactly how and where to measure the extended
dimension.  Third, if your headsail is a deck sweeper and is tacked low to the
deck and the foot is low to the deck, you may have to have the tack cut a bit
to go over the sprit (about 4 inches off the deck on one side of the forestay).
The kit comes with 2 folding padeyes.  However, you can install more at
different distances to allow the sprit to extend different distances from the
bow or measure point.
The sprit can be easily removed and stowed below.  This is good for boats with
an anchor locker since the lid to the locker would be pinned under the sprit.

Installation was straightforward once you figure out the different measurements.
We installed this one so it retracted clear of the head sail tack point.  That
way, the head sail tack snap shackle didn't rub on the sprit when going upwind.
I have one picture of the finished install if anyone is interested.