>... Talc - cheap-ass filler used in bondo and 'cow flap' polyester used in our
>c&cs.

Is "cow flap" polyester the same orange, hard filler used by Bruckmann's in the
early 70's?  I have heard it called "bog".

Many of the failed balsa areas in Calypso's deck were bordered by the orange
"bog" filler.  Water intrusion from one place would migrate through cracks in
the bog to many other places.

Back in 1998 we repaired hull fractures (actually leaking sea water into the
bilge) caused by the forward keel stub's bog failing to prevent flexing.  My
best guess is 28 years of hard sailing made harder by the use of hydraulic back
stay tensioners stressed the solid glass layup to fracture.  Sea water found
the path into the bilge through the cracked bog filler.

The 1998/99 repair was to grind out all the bog, re-laminate inside and out,
and finish up with much less epoxy filler.  After looking at the C&C build
drawings for the early 43's I noticed C&C/Bruckmann's added extra structure
forward from the mast step to stiffen this area.  We will be adding something
similar during the current deck restoration project.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle