Patrick — from what I can see in your photos, I wouldn’t be surprised if the
battery (or a previous one) had something to do with the rot.  The
discoloration and deterioration of the wood could have come from acid leak or
outgassing of hydrogen sulfide from a battery being overcharged.

Your best bet, if you have enough access, would be to cut back a rectangular
section of the plywood until you reach “good” wood, then put in a patch out of
new marine plywood and get a layer of glass over everything.  That should keep
the battery issue in check in the future.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis