My friend’s 1983 LF38 has a rather large removable rectangular panel in the
area you are talking about (which provides pretty fair access to the right side
of the engine, transmission, and v drive, as I know from personal experience).
There are stainless tabs on the edge of the panel that keep the surface flush
with the quarter berth side of the bulkhead, and the quarter berth cushion
holds the panel in place.

Maybe the area of rot is an opportunity to increase the engine compartment
access.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1