Thanks, everyone!  I'll keep it all in mind and let you know what I end up
doing.

To clarify, I was considering an AC (as opposed to DC) holding plate
refrigeration system if it's going to run off shore power anyway.  No need
for air conditioning here in SF, thankfully.

In terms of just using ice instead, I think for anything short of living
aboard that's probably what I'd do.  I'm hoping to be on the boat full time
by April though so for everyday use I'd rather have refrigeration.

If someone out there has used a one piece kit, I'd still be really
interested about your experience with it.  The simplicity is tempting but I
haven't found any firsthand reviews.  Point taken on the installation,
James, but it seems like I should be able to cut a hole from the aft side
of the ice box so the compressor extends into the port lazarette.  Thoughts?

Sam

Spanish Dancer
C&C 35 mk III
San Francisco