From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Sam Wheeler
via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:38 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Sam Wheeler
Subject: Stus-List Refrigeration on C&C 35 mk III

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.  I recently purchased the 1984 C&C 35 mk III Spanish Dancer.  My
goal was to find a boat that would be comfortable enough to live on and capable
enough to be fun to sail in San Francisco Bay - I'm extremely excited about
this one.  I've been sailing since I was a kid but this is my first
(non-dinghy) boat of my own, so I expect I'll be boring you all with a lot of
stupid questions over the next few months.

First up: Refrigeration.  My boat doesn't have it.  Has anyone added
refrigeration to a 35-3?  How's the stock insulation in the ice chest?  Any
suggestions on what works or doesn't?

Since I think it will be relatively rare for me to spend more than a night away
from the slip and shore power, one thought I had was going with a holding plate
system to run off shore power - maybe even an AC system.  That would keep the
load off my batteries, I wouldn't have to listen to the compressor running as
often, and it should store enough cooling in the plate to last for daysails and
short trips away from the dock.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about the number of projects I have lined up,
and the simplicity and relative low cost of a CoolMatic single unit kit starts
to look pretty appealing.  Has anyone used that or something similar?  I'm a
little concerned about the effect on efficiency of putting the compressor
(which presumably runs warm) directly next to the box with what looks like
minimal insulation between it and the evaporator.

Here's the CooMatic kit I'm looking at:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/waeco-adler-barbour--coolmatic-cooling-conversion-kit--7895881

Focusing on air cooling at the moment.  I'd rather listen to compressor noise
and draw a little more shore power than put a new thru-hull in.

Thanks in advance!  I've been lurking for a week or so and this seems like a
great community.

Sam

Spanish Dancer
C&C 35 mk III