Edd already has the Ray autopilot.  I find Active Captain useful for
planning, but don't use it at the helm. That's just me.

B&G apparently is adding ethernet ports to their units which will make it
easier to integrate with PCs etc.  NMEA 2000 makes stuff slightly less
proprietary, but you may not get full function on other brands products.

Joel
35/3
Annapolis

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> As a huge fan of Active Captain.  I urge you to both try AC and verify
> that your prospective chart plotter/MFD works with AC.
>
> I too looked at the Raymarine MFDs and talked to one of their sales reps
> at the Annapolis Boat show.  I was disappointed with the lack of open
> source compatability.  It seemed like a collection of solid products that
> integrate really well with one another to create a lot of powerful
> features.  Unfortunately, it appeared that a lot of those powerful features
> where lost if the individual components were not matched with other
> Raymarine products in the same vintage.  So, as long as you buy the entire
> package and plan to keep the entire package (auto-helm, chartplotter(s),
> radar, network, remote apps via phone/tablet) together as a system (more or
> less forever) then it will probably be fully satisfying.
>
> My experiences with technology have been that anything proprietary
> eventually goes out of style.  I said this about the iPhone 30 pin
> connector and now look at all the car stereos and home audio  accessories
> that no longer integrate as beautifully as they used to.
>
> YMMV
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+
> Solomons, MD
> On Jan 11, 2016 1:11 PM, "Edd Schillay via CnC-List" <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> Listers,
>>
>> So I was at the NY Boat Show this past weekend and took a good look at
>> the Raymarine e-Series (specifically the e9 one). Built-in GPS and data
>> display of other information hooked up to the system (including my new
>> Raymarine EV200 autopilot.)
>>
>> Does anyone have one? Pros? Cons? The price seems very low given all it
>> does, especially compared to the cost of my current Garmin GPSMap2006C.
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Edd
>>

>> Edd M. Schillay
>> Starship Enterprise