Just curious Rick, why lemon oil then teak oil?

FWI: I thought lemon oil was just that.  Oil from a lemon.  I assumed from
the peel.  I even checked the bottles at the store very closely.  They are
labeled very clearly and plainly as "Lemon Oil".  In small print on the
back the only thing to the contrary is a statement which says something to
the effect of, "Contains a minimum of 10% petroleum distillates".  I
assumed that this was the solvent which carried the lemon oil.

After researching my previous question to the list of "does lemon oil cause
mildew?"  I found that most lemon oils are mineral oil with added scent and
color.  In disbelief I re-read both bottles of lemon oil and then resorted
to checking the MSDS.  To my dismay the MSDS confirmed that a significant
portion (>90%) of "lemon oil" is just white mineral oil.  I went on to
check the MSDS of some other wood oils (teak, watco, etc) most were a
mixture of mineral oil and mineral spirits.  As I understand it woods like
teak are so dense that a thinner/solvent is helpful in carrying the oil
deeper into the wood pores.  One exception is Danish Oil which has
polyurethane mixed in.  An additional exception is any oil which is a
"drying oil" boiled linseed is one example and I think tung oil is another.

If anybody is "into" essential oils I'm planning to make my own wood polish
from mineral oil and tea tree oil.  I might try adding lemon too.  The tea
tree is evidently supposed to prevent mold and mildew.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD