From: "Josh Muckley via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "C&C List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Josh Muckley" <muckl...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:04:24 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Lemon oil cause mildew?

Just curious Rick, why lemon oil then teak oil?

FWI: I thought lemon oil was just that. Oil from a lemon. I assumed from the
peel. I even checked the bottles at the store very closely. They are labeled
very clearly and plainly as "Lemon Oil". In small print on the back the only
thing to the contrary is a statement which says something to the effect of,
"Contains a minimum of 10% petroleum distillates". I assumed that this was the
solvent which carried the lemon oil.

After researching my previous question to the list of "does lemon oil cause
mildew?" I found that most lemon oils are mineral oil with added scent and
color. In disbelief I re-read both bottles of lemon oil and then resorted to
checking the MSDS. To my dismay the MSDS confirmed that a significant portion
(>90%) of "lemon oil" is just white mineral oil. I went on to check the MSDS of
some other wood oils (teak, watco, etc) most were a mixture of mineral oil and
mineral spirits. As I understand it woods like teak are so dense that a
thinner/solvent is helpful in carrying the oil deeper into the wood pores. One
exception is Danish Oil which has polyurethane mixed in. An additional
exception is any oil which is a "drying oil" boiled linseed is one example and
I think tung oil is another.

If anybody is "into" essential oils I'm planning to make my own wood polish
from mineral oil and tea tree oil. I might try adding lemon too. The tea tree
is evidently supposed to prevent mold and mildew.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD