> The C&C 43 had balsa core in vertical cockpit surfaces?

Yes, for the vertical surfaces that are part of the cabin.  The vertical
surfaces in the lower cockpit are solid.  The horizontal cockpit surfaces are
also balsa cored including the hatch covers.  All the other deck/cabin surfaces
have balsa except where bulkheads are glassed in and under the traveller (the
43’s “brow” area).  The deck/cabin outer skin is +-3/8” thick, the balsa is ½”
thick, the inner skin is +-1/8” thick.  The hull is a full schedule fiberglass
layup (in most places >1/2” thick to 1” thick on center line) with ¾” balsa
added to the inside from 4” below the toe rail to 18” to 24” up from the lower
centerline.  The ¾” thick balsa added to the inside of the hull has a thin
fiberglass skin over it and is tapered down to zero balsa under the bulkheads
and forward of the anchor locker and aft of mid-cockpit.

> If the 43 had coring in vertical cockpit surfaces does that mean those walls
> are close to 1" thick?

Yes and maybe a little thicker in many places owing to layup variations.  The
deck edges 4” back from the toe rail have no balsa but seem to be a thicker
layup.  Where vertical transitioned to horizontal the deck layup crew tapered
the balsa out and filleted with a polyester based “bog” filler that is brittle
and subject to failure when exposed to water, especially with a repeated
freeze/thaw cycle.  We are replacing any bog we come in contact with using West
System epoxy and a variety of fillers.

Calypso is hull #1 of the 43’s, built at Bruckmann’s custom shop.  There are
differences between Calypso and the other 14 43’s of the Limited Edition series
(early to mid-70’s).  For the 1971 SORC, named Arieto, this boat was one of the
C&C "factory" boats and won its class.  The story I heard was the boat was
built in a hurry for a demanding owner that was serious about winning.  There
may be more balsa than in other, later 43’s.  Hull #2 was likely the most
similar, launched as “Destination”.  It is now named “Carmanah” and last I
heard it is off on a So Pac cruise after a nicely done restoration and upgrade.
 In 1974 both Arieto and Destination, racing each other with motivated owners
had a stern “bob” to lower the IOR rating.  The stern bob was spec’d out by C&C
and performed in Rhode Island.  After the bob the sterns look much like a C&C
39.

I have a 1999 picture of 3 43’s (Calypso, Epic, and Evening Star) rafted
together in Port Madison (near Seattle).  The picture lends credence to the
other owners complaint that Calypso was lighter.  I have the keel weight
numbers which indicate the lead sections were within a hundred pounds.  I
expect the real issue was additional interior accoutrements and cruising gear.
Calypso’s interior has a different layout than all other 43’s (more like a C&C
39) and generally less drawers and doors, no headliner, and the forepeak that
is mostly an open sail locker with ½” plywood to make a place for V berth
cushions.  On sail plan data web site under 1971 C&C 43-1 there is a drawing of
Calypso’s layout much like it is now with very minor differences from the
actual build.

A 1984 Landfall would have a different layup and balsa schedule/plan and was
likely built at a different plant.  C&C/Bruckmann’s learned a lot about balsa
construction over the years following Calypso’s 1970 build.  Based on the
updates I observed on the drawings from the Maritime Museum, the 43’s that
followed Calypso and its big brother Sorcery (61”) have additional
strengthening beams and stiffening panels.  We are adding some of those as part
of our ongoing deck restoration project.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle