Find someone who has done this before - if the boat is in the water and has
been used but you suspect it wasn't done right, borrow a person with a Loos
Gauge, which is used to check the tension on the wires. There are
instructions on the gauge. My boat is bigger than yours, so my tensions are
likely to be higher and my wire sizes are larger, but I use 1100 pounds for
the upper shrouds (wires going to the top of the mast), 700 for the lower
ones and 1500 for the back stay. I hope someone has the proper numbers for
your boat - I would guess they are no more than 3/4 of what mine are. The
gauge has a table on the back which has readings for each wire size.

If the boat has just been launched for you, then you have to start from the
beginning - and I would do a search on 'setting shroud tensions on a
sailboat' to get the basics (things like how to assure the mast is vertical
- side to side - and how much it should be leaning back from the vertical -
in the boat) and hope you can find the appropriate measurements for your
boat.

If all of this is Greek to you, I would suggest finding a person with
rigging experience to get you on the right track. It isn't rocket science,
but is important for your safety. If the boat was set up by a boat yard
before launching, then maybe the club members are just dazzling you with
their 'superior sailing' knowledge.....and you can defer this discussion for
a while.

Gary Nylander
30-1
Maryland