Hi Josh

$500 labor

$600 OEM rebuild kit (bearings, seals and such)

Symptoms are when shift lever on transmission is fully engaged but shaft does
not turn as rapidly as should, especially at lower engine speeds.  First verify
lever is fully engaged on the transmission and is not hung up in the cabling.
The Kanzaki is a cone gear design which if not correctly engaged the cone
rapidly becomes glazed which prevents proper engagement with the mating gear.
The lever attaches to the cable with a double spring coupling.  With the
transmission fully in gear, there should be additional travel in the shift
lever on the steering pedestal, compressing the spring. If not, the cable needs
adjusting.  The spring coupling is an annual maintenance item to put a few
drops of oil to ensure free operation.

Another issue is our model has been out of production for some time so a new
replacement is difficult to obtain.  There is an “upgrade” model that
supposedly is a direct replacement, but several local marine mechanics do not
think highly of it as the gears are not as durable

John & Maryann