I agree, I use a good mechanical connection (ancor like crimps) everywhere
except on the battery lugs(I’m talking large gauge wire).

ABYC actually has an exception to the  “shall not solder rule”

From ABYC E-11

11.14.5.7 Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any
circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to
minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible
conductor into a solid conductor.

EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times
the diameter of the conductor.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose
Carrabelle, FL

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/

> On May 25, 2016, at 2:11 PM, cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com wrote:
>
> Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 11:31:34 -0500
> From: Frederick G Street <f...@postaudio.net <mailto:f...@postaudio.net>>
> To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Battery Posts
>
> ABYC strictly prohibits solder as the sole means of connecting terminal to
> wire; you absolutely need to use a good mechanical connection.  Solder
> stiffens the wire at the joint, making it susceptible to failure due to
> vibration; and a wire under load can heat to the point that the solder will
> soften, which will also cause failure.
>
> A properly-made crimp is the best way to make a safe connection.
>
> Fred Street -- Minneapolis
> S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- on the hard in Bayfield, WI   :^(

greatly appreciated!