From: Ryan Doyle via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 2:10 PM
Subject: Stus-List Moving my traveler - 30mki
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
Cc: Ryan Doyle <ryanpdo...@gmail.com<mailto:ryanpdo...@gmail.com>>

Hey guys,

After some research and having the helpful folks at Genco Marine look at photos
of my boat, I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to shade my
cockpit while under sail unless I move my traveler.  I have a 1976 30mki with a
single back stay and a tiller.  The traveler is currently located at the back
of the cockpit.

Before anyone yells "Buy a hat!" or "Wear sunscreen!"... These are all
fantastic suggestions, but I'm beyond that.  A shaded cockpit is essential to
keeping the women in my life happy sailors.  When they are happy sailors, I get
to sail.  When they are not, I don't get to sail.  Simple as that.  So, I need
advice on moving my traveler so I can install a bimini top.

I was thinking about moving the traveler to just in front of the companionway.
This is a leverage point not significantly different from the traveler location
on a wheel-steered 30mki.  I know moving it forward will cause the load on the
traveler to be much greater and my leverage is going to be lower.  I might need
extra blocks to gain leverage on the main sheet.  I will also need strong
backing blocks under the traveler.  I may also have to create a new attachment
point on the boom.

Has anyone done the research and calculations required to do this project?
Better yet... has anyone already done this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

greatly appreciated!