Ryan,
It is important to note that in Aaron's photo the bimini is above the
height of the boom so he has basically maximized the forward projection
regardless of main sheet placement.

Aaron,
How much head room do you think you have under the bimini?  Would it be
uncomfortable if you were to lower it enough to fit under the boom?

Ryan,
I tackled the shade issue a little differently by extending the dodger back
a considerable distance.  It is a hard top and allowed for a projection 6"
in front and 12" behind the frame.  I also have an arch that folds out to
further extended the projection an additional 12" aft just shy of the
mainsheet.  This folding part is canvas and is easily
assembled/disassembled.  A considerable amount of engineering went into
maximizing dodger height while not impeding on the boom.  I also have cabin
top winches who's swing radius needed consideration to clear the frame.
Now my wife, and often an additional guest, have room to sit or lay in the
companionway in the shade of the dodger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNze1nnSQ2-T1V1Yzc2cDBwU3c/view?usp=drivesdk

I also find that shade is not entirely elusive as long as one is willing to
get out of the cockpit.  Shade from the sails is almost always available
except for a few hours at the peak of the day.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD