I have seen people keep the painter very short.  To the effect that it is
lifting the bow of the dinghy out of the water.  When I had my dinghy flip
it was because of following seas.  I surfed down one wave and slowed when I
reached the trough.  The dinghy however had not reached the trough yet and
accelerated down the face of the wave and then slid out sideways to the
boat.  When the boat accelerated down the next wave the dinghy kinda washed
about in the trough until the painter pulled tight.  Since the dinghy had
slid out to the side, when the painter went tight it pulled the dinghy
sideways through the water and subsequently flipped it.

On the flip side a short painter would likely result in the dinghy bumping
into the boat... Repeatedly.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+