We towed a light dinghy all the way around Vancouver Island, and usually
set it for minimum drag, so 2-3 fingers of pressure in calm weather. As the
wind and waves increased, we pulled the dinghy right up on the transom so
only the back end is in the water. That also stops the wind from spinning
it behind the boat like a propeller and expelling all the contents, which
we experienced once and don't want to repeat. After one bad experience
running downwind and wave in the Strait of Georgia we always make sure to
take the drain plug out and tether it.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On 10 August 2016 at 14:24, Neil Gallagher via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Had the same thing happen to me last week, slightly under-inflated dinghy
> filled up when the bow dug in.   Now I pull the plug on the transom, it has
> a flap to keep water from flowing in but drains itself when moving.
>
> Neil Gallagher
> Weatherly 35-1
> Glen Cove, NY
>

> On 8/10/2016 2:56 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List wrote:
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Indigo via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> I let enough of the painter out when under way so that the dinghy surfs
>> down the wave created by indigo. I feel that this reduces the tension on
>> the painter - and thus the drag.
>

> Did that once with a slightly under-inflated dinghy.  Ended up with a
> dinghy full of water.  Bow went down into the trough; water came over the
> bow.  Boat speed drops significantly towing a dinghy with several hundred
> pounds of water in it.  :(
>
> Dennis C.

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!