Yes, tape the stripes then sand up to them. I'd say wet sand with 220 or
320, depending on how much shine you're after. If the tape edge gets messed
up, just re-tape it before you paint.
I'd use awl grip, again. I would call the techs at the company and ask if
you need to prime over the old awl grip. Use a decent brush and paint them
one at time so you don't lose your "wet edge" and you should be fine.

Cheers
Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine