If I may add to it, if I understand correctly, the set screws should not carry
any load - it should be first, the friction between the coupling and the shaft
(they should be perfectly mated), and second the key and the keyway.

One other thing: the set screws should be used only once. The second time
around they don’t bite well enough into the shaft.

The two set screws in the hole is a method used by the PSS dripless shaft seal.
One set of set screws goes into the hole all the way and the second is
tightened above them (to prevent them to undo).

My $0.02 (I am not sure if it is worth that much, though)

Marek

1994 C270 ”Legato”

Ottawa, ON