David,

I've followed some of this thread and have a few concerns where some have
mentioned using an inexpensive inverter.

Using an inverter that is not intended for marine use or not properly
grounded can cause problems.  An inverter can produce short duration spikes
which exceed the insulation rating of most wires.  This becomes an issue in
wet areas and will cause insulation failure.

There are other issues relating to inducing corrosion.  A friend who
coincidentally keeps his boat in RI and is the technical support guru for a
company that sells variable frequency drives (inverters for AC motors) had
to replace his propellers when he used an inverter he bought from Harbor
Freight.  It was probably fine for anything other than marine use.

If the neutral on the inverter is not grounded, the neutral can kill you
regardless of the presence of a GFCI.

Just my thoughts,

Ron Ricci
S/V Patriot
C&C 37+
Bristol, RI

---- David via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
We have minimal inverter needs and would like to wire the 1000w inverter
directly to a dedicated outlet.  It does not have power outputs but two
receptacles for plugs.

I believe I can wire an extension cord to a outlet (assuming adequately
rated and quality components), but I would like to know of any pitfalls that
others may have found.

Thanks in advance.

David F. Risch
(401) 419-4650 (cell)