"Similarly with an inverter connected to a battery that is not grounded a
GFCI should
never trip. Theoretically in a floating system the power has to come out of
the Hot
lead and return in the Neutral. There will never be a ground fault to trip
a GFCI.
There is no ground."

I'm not an electrician, but my limited understanding is that a Ground Fault
Circuit Interrupter monitors the hot and neutral leads and interrupts the
circuit almost instantly if it detects a difference between them. The
ground lead does not come into it.

The Xantrex Freedom HF 1000 that I mentioned in an earlier post is *UL458*
-listed.

"The two UL standards differ in how they handle AC system grounding:
*UL1741*-listed inverters must allow for the neutral-to-ground bond to
*only* occur at the main AC service panel. *UL458*-listed inverters have
internal neutral-to-ground switching relays to allow for this bond to occur
at the inverter if in off-grid mode, OR at the utility power service if it
is connected to a utility hookup."

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Derek Kennedy
SV Tortuga, 30 mk1