Hi, Josh — the Simard is a nice radio, as well — they were one of the first
manufacturers out with NMEA2000-connected VHF radios.  But as you mentioned,
the AIS is receive-only, and that’s easy to do with a single VHF antenna shared
with the radio.  To add transceiver capability, first you have to add the Class
B transceiver (standalone units start at about $500-$600).  Then it’s required
to have an external GPS antenna dedicated to the AIS transceiver (that’s part
of the Class B standard).  And you need either a separate VHF antenna for the
AIS, or a splitter (another $200), which is probably going to be too big to
incorporate into a VHF housing people want to buy.

So it’s no surprise that the Simard is “half the estimated price of the other
unit.”  The GX6500 has everything I mentioned above with the exception of the
splitter.

And I have to say that the quality of my transmitted VHF signal improved
greatly when I installed my S-H GX2200 VHF last year; I expect the quality of
the GX6500 will be at least that good, if not better.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis