It’s pretty clear that they’d be more likely to pay attention to a vessel which
transmits Class B AIS than one which doesn’t have a transceiver at all, as AIS
is required to be displayed on ECDIS screens on commercial vessels.  At
minimum, their bridge systems have to alarm for CPA (closest point of approach)
for Class A AIS, and they have an option to filter out Class B.  Take a look at
this Panbo post from 2010; I agree with the later comments by the expert:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/12/class_b_ais_filtering_the_word_from_dr_norris.html

<http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/12/class_b_ais_filtering_the_word_from_dr_norris.html>

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis