Patrick,

Timely. I just got a phone message from a rigger that I contacted about
updating my mast, standing and running rigging. I have rod rigging which was
reheaded in 1999. At that time I converted from the Navtec K100 (Frankenstein…)
tang fittings to newer K200 tangs.

The rigger mentioned several things that I was aware of, one that I just wanted
to ignore, to wit, the rod is 34-years old. Well past the due date per Navtec.
The other, which I knew was that after rereading the rod, that was the limit.
One and done.

He mentioned some sort of new small diameter rod/wire standing rigging as a
replacement but I failed to catch the name. Unless he can really convince me
that it is better, I’m inclined to replace all the rod. The boat and rig were
designed for rod. And I’ve already put money into new tangs. One thing that I
did do back in 1999 was replace the forestay with wire due to a nick in the rod
and adding a roller furling setup.

The rigger is busy at the moment but we’ll be meeting in the yard sometime in
the next week or so to go over my rebuild list and look at the rig. Right off
the bat I know he’ll recommend/do a Level C inspection. I’ll post what I learn
on my blog afterwards.

FWIW, my rig is on the ground. Right next to my keel.  ;-)

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay